Monday, May 18, 2009

Weekend Recap...

Friday night was slightly stressful. Marty and I were supposed to attend a fundraiser that my grandmother, the Director of a local Meals on Wheels organization had put together. My mom was also planning on taking part in the fundraiser and had taken off work early to be there to help set up.

There had been a chance for severe storms in the forecast so we left the office a little earlier than usual. I went home and turned on the TV only to discover that they had issued tornado warnings about 45 miles away where my mom and grandparents happened to be. So, I immediately called my mother who was completely unaware of the weather. She went to by a nearby church and my grandparents were worried about their vehicles so they went to their house.

All in all, there were about four tornadoes, grapefruit size hail and they shut down the main highway because the storm was moving along it and people were still driving through the storm. Luckily everyone was ok, but I got a call from one of my friends shortly after this asking if my parents were home because their was a fire just south of their house. It was a wild night!

I went outside and took a picture of the clouds. They were freaky looking!


Saturday Mom and I headed to Amarillo for a spa day with the girls. We met Randi, her mom, sister and future mother-in-law for lunch. Here's a picture of our group. Randi's soon to be mother-in-law had shirts made.

Then we headed to the spa. I had never had a facial before and it was glorious! We left town right after our pampering so we could make it back from one of my best friends mother's 50th birthday party. It was an action packed day!

Sunday was our last day to teach Sunday school for this term. The kids were so sweet! They were like, "you know you can teach back to back terms if you want to?" We had a senior luncheon after services and the food was YUMMY! I swear we have the best cooks around...I had a slice of Kentucky Derby Pie that was to die for. This isn't the original recipe, but I found this one online at http://www.americanfood.about.com/.

Kentucky Derby Chocolate Walnut Pie Recipe

This delicious Kentucky bourbon chocolate walnut pie is traditionally served at the annual Kentucky Derby Horse race. This pie recipe is similar to the Melrose Inn's famous "Derby Pie," which has been served at the race for over 50 years. Makes 1 Kentucky Bourbon Chocolate Walnut Pie
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Ingredients:
1/2 cup flour
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup melted butter
2 tablespoons Kentucky bourbon
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt
1 ready-made piecrust
Preparation:Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine flour and sugar in a mixing bowl. Add the eggs and butter; mix to combine. Stir in the bourbon, walnuts, chocolate chips, vanilla, and salt. Pour the mixture into the unbaked piecrust. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool before slicing.

2 comments:

Sweet Simplicity said...

That was an eventful weekend! I've never had a facial, but it sounds amazing!

Ashley said...

Cassi! I had no idea you were on here!

What a pretty blog you have! Is everything still going well for you guys?