Friday, May 8, 2009

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys...Part I

Every year we have a week long cattle working. It's old school style. Sixteen to 20 cowboys gather and work around 500 head of cattle a day along with chuck wagon meals. There are quite a few big ranches left around here, but the cowboy way of life is not something a lot of people practice anymore. I absolutely LOVE it, though. It's how I grew up and what I know. There's just something sexy about a cowboy on horse back...especially if he knows what he's doing.

Although, these are just a portion of my pictures...I couldn't wait any longer. These are COMPLETELY unedited, raw shots I took Monday and Tuesday. (*Note: Please don't copy or reuse any of these photos without my permission.)

I got up at 4 a.m. so I could be at our ranch before sunrise. It was worth it. This is why I LOVE Texas!


It was overcast and rainy both days. My equipment was WET, but I was still able to get a few shots that I am REALLY proud of!
Here's one of my dad's best friends, Buddy or "Uncle Bud".

I don't know why, but I always love shots that make you think of cowboys without them actually being in the picture...


Brandin', Flankin', Cuttin', Givin' Shots, Ear Taggin'


One of these days my best pictures will be of my husband, but for some reason, he's never around when I am. This year he had to babysit some "dudes". There is a dude ranch about 45 minutes from our ranch and they called my dad to see if they could bring "dudes" and suprisingly he agreed. There were about 20-25 of them four from Delaware, a couple from the Chesapeake Bay area, Germany, London, Canada, etc.

I always have a "favorite calf" in each group. It's usually the smallest, most feeble looking one. I always trying and beg Dad to let me bring it home and bottle feed it...*LOL* In this shot it's the one right in the middle.

Levi doing a little roping.


Uncle Bud and my dad.

L.W. He was literally the first person Marty met when he moved up here. I don't think he could've met a nicer guy.

Trent flanking a calf.

Gathering some cattle.
L.W. and Marty


Anoter one of my favorite calves...


Boots & Spurs.


Jeremiah


3 comments:

Tara Gibson said...

these are some really cool pictures!!!


ps. we so wanted a crimper but couldnt find one!!

Liz Harrell said...

Fabulous photos! And you cracked me up with the 'especially if he knows what he's doing' part. :) Where I grew up I saw many a man 'try' to ride horses and it was so funny when they didnt know what was going on.

erin f. said...

Love the pictures! They are so authentic, what a cool place to be. It makes me want to go home!